I have experienced the AMAZING benefits working out on a consistent basis can give you and I feel a strong desire to share some of the ideas and things I have learned with others so they can start getting in their own routine and feel some of the same benefits. Exercise is just one step on the path to better health, which I believe we as a whole are in real need of. Every step counts and you will find as you take one step and begin to feel successful you will find it easier to take more steps.... "not that the nature of the thing has changed but that our power to do has increased." (Ralph Waldo Emerson) I am beginning this blog with this end in mind, to help you take a step; or, if you've taken the step already, to keep on going!

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Awww, Yoga

I took an ah-mazing ashtanga yoga class last week. Ashtanga yoga has an intense, flowing style in which the same asanas (poses) are always done in the same order. I wish I could find the words to explain how I felt when I left that hour and a half class. Other than the fact that I could barely stand (how many vinyasa flows can one person do??) I felt so good. Yes. Just really very good. Yoga has a way of making your body feel tall, long, strong, and capable. Learning to breath and focus on my practice and on what I need right at that moment is a skill I feel has effected my whole life. I have had a stressful few years, but I've made it through them and I am still making it through each day. Yoga calms me and it encourages me. I think back to the first time I tried yoga and laughed at what I was trying to do. At the time I was laughing because I thought there was no possible way I was ever going to accomplish these crazy things, but as my practice continued my view changed and I began to try. I decided I would just see what happened. I left that class last week having held a headstand, a backbend, and several balancing poses and binds! Yay! We can do so many things, but first we have to try and then we have to diligently keep trying until *suddenly* you realize you're doing it!! It is such a great feeling that everyone should experience. Okay, go try something new this week! And keep trying until you've got it.... even if it takes a year... or five years. :)

Here's a great beginning - feel fantastic - yoga video, if you want to give it a try.


My current goal: Grasshopper Pose


I'm getting there!



No comments:

Post a Comment